Playing for pride

Baseball keeps chin up after being knocked out of playoff contention

Sophomore+Angelo+Gennari+pitches+at+home+on+April+21+against+Allen.+

Andrea Duncan

Sophomore Angelo Gennari pitches at home on April 21 against Allen.

James Shillinglaw, Staff Writer

With two games left to play, the baseball team has only pride left to play for after playoff hopes were eliminated over the weekend.

Heading into the last five games of the year, the team controlled their own destiny and could have locked up a spot by winning out. But a 10-7 loss to Allen on April 20, despite 6 RBIs from senior first basemen Caden Hartsburg, took the team’s fate out of the Farmers’ hands. The Farmers defeated Plano West on senior pitcher Andrew Harlan’s 4-0 shutout on April 22, but then fell to Plano East in a bad weather makeup game on Saturday afternoon, 5-4, the team’s fourth one-run loss in district play this season.

“We should have hit better,” head coach Mike Campbell said. “There wasn’t great pitching; we struggled at the plate which is something we’ve done a lot of the season. That was really the turning point, not getting more runs scored.”

The Farmers take on fifth place McKinney Boyd at home for senior night tonight. They will close the season on the road against fourth place Plano on May 1. The Farmers beat Boyd 3-2 and Plano 2-1 in their first meetings this season.

Senior catcher Kyle West said Saturday’s game didn’t go the way they wanted it to, but they can’t change it now.

“We’re just playing for our pride and for our school [now],” West said.

Campbell was reserved in his opinion of the last two games on his teams schedule, but remains sure in their ability to compete well with the other programs in the district.

“They’re difficult opponents,” Campbell said. “We’ve beaten both of them and we’re going to give it our best shot to do it again.”